Prevention of what? when? how? Weekend warriors take a high risk subjecting their bodies to intensive physical activities without movement and aerobics during the rest of the week. In a sense they are out of shape, more vulnerable and more likely to sustain trauma and physical injuries.
What's the answer? At least some aerobic activity and stretching every other day. When you first begin an aerobic program, contain your enthusiasm and work out gently only 8 or 10 minutes for the first few workouts. Your body will adapt very quickly and each subsequent workout can be longer and more energetic until you achieve an ideal 20 minutes of continuous aerobic stimulation.
If you are not a member of a fitness center or feel you don't have the time to devote outside of your home or office - there are no excuses! Besides the availability of home exercise equipment - treadmills, stairmasters, exercycles, Nordic Tracks, etc. - probably the least expensive and very effective piece of equipment is the rebounder, pulled out of the closet when used and otherwise hidden. Another option is a home step aerobics program following a video. It's your choice!If you observe animals, you'll notice when they awaken they stretch; it's their instinct that moves them. We need to reawaken this instinct in us. Now, here are some simple movements which can be done anywhere at anytime in the home, office, or on vacation.
|1. Hamstring and upper body stretch - Hold on to the door knob of an open door,
put your feet slightly apart, facing directly forward and slightly ahead of your
hips while bent at right angles with back straight from the waist.
Relax the breath and feel like you're lengthening the upper body. With arms straight, while stretching your hamstrings, gently and slowly rock your buttocks from side to side. This will further release tension and compression.
|2. Spinal stretch - Holding the door knobs with arms straight, feet comfortably apart pointing slightly outward, squat flat footed with your knees over your feet (do not let them cave in). In this position, let the head relax forward and allow your pelvic floor to release dowward. After a few moments, gently and slowly rock the buttocks back and forth for further release (stay in this position for several minutes before rising).|
By Mark Lamm
The American Holistic Health Association has compiled a collection of self-help articles to support your efforts to enhance your own health and well-being.
This article is part of the
ENHANCING YOUR LEVEL OF WELLNESS
and the sub-category
AMERICAN HOLISTIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION
PO Box 17400, Anaheim, CA 92817-7400 USA
Phone: (714) 779-6152
Web site: ahha.org
Visit the entire AHHA Self-Help Articles Collection at ahha.org/ahhaarticles.asp
- About Us
- Anti-Aging Breakthrough
- Business Opportunity - Start Today
- Index to Articles
- Take The Plunge
- What is Oxidate Stress
- What is the Flu?
- ABC of complementary medicine Homoeopathy
- Bee Propolis
- Forever Living Top Ten Products
- Four Fabulous New Products
- The Five Tibetan Rites
- My Simple Skin Care Routine
- Introducing Native Remedies
- It's Mind Over Matter
- Product Brochures & Catalogs
- Tips on Surviving Cancer
- Patrick Quillin - Beating Cancer With Nutrition
- Ten Tips for Starting a Walking Program
- Prevention Awareness for Weekend Warriors
- You Can Handle Anything with Health-Esteem
- Introducing Pet Alive
- Traditional Healing Meets Modern Science
- Crave-Rx Drops™ Testimonials
- The Queen Of Oils
- Acid Reflux
- Why We Use Organic, Cold Pressed Oil
- Acid Free-Flux™ Testimonials
- From Stress to Bliss
- Pregnancy & Massage
- Which Diet Is Best – an Alkaline Diet or an Acidic Diet?
- Pregnancy The Third Trimester
- Grapefruit Diet - An Overview
- Herbal Dietary Supplements - Preparation and Usage
- Immune system remedies - fight low immunity naturally
- Treating Prostate Cancer with Vitamins and Minerals
- Herbal Medicine For Prostate - A Better Alternative Treatment
- Homeopathic Remedies For Prostate Enlargement
- Child Depression – Obesity: The Connection
- What is High Blood Pressure?
- Alternative Treatment for Yeast Infection
- ADA Diets and Low Carb Diets
- Choose Your Sale !
- The Atkins Diet Theory
- Atkins Diet Menu
- Blood Pressure
- How To Do A Self Abhyanga
- Atkins Diet Plan - Is the plan healthy, effective and fast?
- Tips for Deciding on a Balanced Diet
- Useful Positive Attitude Tips
- Adolescent Grief and Parents’ Role in Managing It
- Adolescent Grief Group Activities
- CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION
- Forever Living Products - About Us
- How to do a self abhyanga
- Oil Pulling and Oral Health