Acid reflux is a digestive condition where the stomach acids flow back into the esophagus (the gullet or tube which connects the stomach to the throat). It causes a burning sensation as well as pain in the abdomen and chest.
This condition is very common and affects millions of Americans daily. It can become quite serious if left untreated and lead to inflammation of the esophagus, anemia, an ulceration of the esophagus and cancer of the esopahgus.
The symptoms and signs of acid reflux may include or be accompanied by:
* Indigestion (dyspepsia)
* Pain and discomfort in upper abdomen
* Bloating or fullness in stomach
* Difficulty in swallowing
* Dental erosion
What Causes Acid Reflux?
At the end of the esophagus, the lower esophageal sphincter is found and functions as a valve which prevents the stomach acids from travelling upwards.
If this valve is weak, the stomach contains too much food or gastric juices, or there is too much pressure on or in the stomach, acid reflux may occur. Factors that may also contribute to acid reflux include eating large meals, certain foods and beverages such as fatty, spicy foods, coffee, tomatoes, oranges, coffee, milk and alcohol.
Lying down too soon after a meal, bending or lifting heavy objects may also bring about acid reflux. Being overweight, pregnancy, hiatal hernia and constipation can also cause acid reflux as increased pressure on the stomach pushes gastric juices back into the esophagus.
Diagnosing Acid Reflux
The diagnosis of acid reflux is based on the symptoms presented, a thorough physical examination and review of your medical history. Certain diagnostic tests such as barium x-rays, endoscopy, biopsy and PH testing may be performed to confirm the diagnosis.
Help for Acid Reflux
How to best relieve symptoms of acid reflux involves making lifestyle changes such as avoiding certain foods, losing weight, stopping smoking and exercising regularly. A wide variety of over-the-counter medications such as antacids, anti-gas or ant-flatulence drugs, oral suspension and H-2 receptor blockers are available to provide temporary relief.
Avoid the overuse of over-the-counter medications as they may cause side effects such as constipation and diarrhea. For more frequent and severe episodes of acid reflux, your doctor may prescribe medications such as proton pump inhibitors. If lifestyle changes and prescription medications fail to offer improvement, surgery may be recommended.
Natural and holistic treatments have been used for centuries to treat and provide symptomatic relief for digestive problems. Homeopathic remedies are safe and effective to use for people of all ages without unwanted side effects. Carefully selected ingredients such as Calc phos, Carbo veg, Nat phos, Mag carb and Silicea helps to neutralize acid in the stomach as well as cleanse and eliminate toxins from the body and relieve symptoms of heartburn, indigestion, bloating and gas.
More Information on Acid Reflux
How to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux:
* Keep a diary to record your symptoms and the foods that you eat and in this way you can monitor which foods are affecting you
* Make certain dietary changes by eliminating foods with a high acidic content such as coffee, alcohol, carbonated soft drinks, fatty and spicy foods, milk, peppermint, tomatoes, and oranges
* Eat small meals at regular intervals throughout the day
* Eat slowly and always sit up when eating
* Maintain a healthy weight – being overweight can worsen symptoms
* Keep your posture upright after eating and avoid lying down – gravity plays a crucial part in keeping acid out of the esophagus
* Exercise regularly by jogging, cycling, stretching and doing aerobics will offer relief from acid reflux and improve overall health
* Avoid eating before bedtime – it is generally suggested that you eat at least 2-3 hours before going to bed
* Elevate your head or feet with pillows, or raise your bed with a bed wedge by at least 4 to 6 inches to reduce acid reflux
* Learn to relax and reduce stress by practicing deep breathing exercises, listening to soothing music or having regular massages
* Avoid smoking as it only worsens acid reflux
* Drink apple cider vinegar to soothe the stomach
Homeopathic remedy relieves acute acid reflux and heartburn
Promotes healthy digestion and encourages comfort after meals
- About Us
- Anti-Aging Breakthrough
- Business Opportunity - Start Today
- Index to Articles
- Take The Plunge
- What is Oxidate Stress
- What is the Flu?
- ABC of complementary medicine Homoeopathy
- Bee Propolis
- Forever Living Top Ten Products
- Four Fabulous New Products
- The Five Tibetan Rites
- My Simple Skin Care Routine
- Introducing Native Remedies
- It's Mind Over Matter
- Product Brochures & Catalogs
- Tips on Surviving Cancer
- Patrick Quillin - Beating Cancer With Nutrition
- Ten Tips for Starting a Walking Program
- Prevention Awareness for Weekend Warriors
- You Can Handle Anything with Health-Esteem
- Introducing Pet Alive
- Traditional Healing Meets Modern Science
- Crave-Rx Drops™ Testimonials
- The Queen Of Oils
- Acid Reflux
- Why We Use Organic, Cold Pressed Oil
- Acid Free-Flux™ Testimonials
- From Stress to Bliss
- Pregnancy & Massage
- Which Diet Is Best – an Alkaline Diet or an Acidic Diet?
- Pregnancy The Third Trimester
- Grapefruit Diet - An Overview
- Herbal Dietary Supplements - Preparation and Usage
- Immune system remedies - fight low immunity naturally
- Treating Prostate Cancer with Vitamins and Minerals
- Herbal Medicine For Prostate - A Better Alternative Treatment
- Homeopathic Remedies For Prostate Enlargement
- Child Depression – Obesity: The Connection
- What is High Blood Pressure?
- Alternative Treatment for Yeast Infection
- ADA Diets and Low Carb Diets
- Choose Your Sale !
- The Atkins Diet Theory
- Atkins Diet Menu
- Blood Pressure
- How To Do A Self Abhyanga
- Atkins Diet Plan - Is the plan healthy, effective and fast?
- Tips for Deciding on a Balanced Diet
- Useful Positive Attitude Tips
- Adolescent Grief and Parents’ Role in Managing It
- Adolescent Grief Group Activities
- CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION
- Forever Living Products - About Us
- How to do a self abhyanga
- Oil Pulling and Oral Health
- Nutrition & Dietary Supplements
- Ant-Aging Products
- Herbal Supplements
- Bee Products
- Organic Cold Pressed Oils
- Weight Management
- Sexual Health
- Natural Remedies
- Women's Health
- Men's Health
- Mothers & Babies
- Sports Nutrition & Body Building
- Child Health
- Massage & Spa Treatments
- Skin Care
- Pet Health Products
- Personal Care
- Hair Care
- Combo Paks
- Health & Beauty Equipment
- Gift Ideas
- Forever Living Top Ten Products