By Tess Thompson
Healing herbs and botanicals are interchangeable terms. Any plant or part of a plant that is valued for its medicinal properties is termed as an herb. Products made from herbs to improve or maintain health are termed as herbal remedies especially if they are targeted to treat a disease. An herbal dietary supplement is an herb or a combination of herbs that is used to overcome nutritional deficiencies.
As defined by US laws, a botanical must meet the following criteria to be classified as herbal dietary supplement:
- It should be intended to supplement diet
- It should contains one or more dietary ingredients including vitamins, minerals, herbs, botanicals, amino acids or their ingredients
- It should be intended to be taken by mouth as a pill, tablet, capsule or liquid
- It should be labeled on the front panel as being a dietary supplement.
Herbs are sold in different forms – fresh or dried, liquid or solid extracts, tablets or capsules, powders or in the form of tea bags. A typical example of this is ginger. Fresh ginger is sold in vegetable stores; dried ginger is sold in powdered form in tea bags, tablets and capsules and liquid preparations are also available.
Herbal dietary supplements can be prepared in the following four ways:
- Teas: Some herbs require only steeping in boiling water to get the desired benefits. Teas can be made from either dried or fresh herbs and may be had hot or cold.
- Decoctions: Roots, barks and berries require a longer time to impart with their properties. Decoctions are prepared by boiling the natural products in water for longer periods than teas. Usually the water used for boiling is allowed to reduce to half or a quarter of its original amount to extract the desired ingredient.
- Tinctures: A tincture is sold as a liquid concentrate. This is done to preserve the herb by soaking it in water or alcohol. The ratio of the dried herb in relation to the weight or volume of the end product needs to be mentioned on the label while selling it in the open market.
- Extracts: An extract is made by soaking an herb in a liquid that removes specific substances from the plant. The liquid is generally evaporated for use as a tablet or a capsule.
The action of herbs ranges from mild to potent. Peppermint, chamomile and green teas are taken to aid digestion, soothe tense nerves or increase mental alertness. There are other herbal supplements that have multiple benefits like increasing mental health and physical health while they supplement nutritional deficiencies in diet.
Over time herbal supplements have attained a reputation of their own and have become a part of conventional medicine. Certain herbal preparations, though labeled as dietary supplements to meet legal requirement, are used as natural remedies http://www.nativeremedies.com/ by doctors for treating diseases that conventional medicine finds difficult to manage due to side effects of the drugs that are usually used to treat them.
By Tess Thompson
- About Us
- Anti-Aging Breakthrough
- Business Opportunity - Start Today
- Index to Articles
- Take The Plunge
- What is Oxidate Stress
- What is the Flu?
- ABC of complementary medicine Homoeopathy
- Bee Propolis
- Forever Living Top Ten Products
- Four Fabulous New Products
- The Five Tibetan Rites
- My Simple Skin Care Routine
- Introducing Native Remedies
- It's Mind Over Matter
- Product Brochures & Catalogs
- Tips on Surviving Cancer
- Patrick Quillin - Beating Cancer With Nutrition
- Ten Tips for Starting a Walking Program
- Prevention Awareness for Weekend Warriors
- You Can Handle Anything with Health-Esteem
- Introducing Pet Alive
- Traditional Healing Meets Modern Science
- Crave-Rx Drops™ Testimonials
- The Queen Of Oils
- Acid Reflux
- Why We Use Organic, Cold Pressed Oil
- Acid Free-Flux™ Testimonials
- From Stress to Bliss
- Pregnancy & Massage
- Which Diet Is Best – an Alkaline Diet or an Acidic Diet?
- Pregnancy The Third Trimester
- Grapefruit Diet - An Overview
- Herbal Dietary Supplements - Preparation and Usage
- Immune system remedies - fight low immunity naturally
- Treating Prostate Cancer with Vitamins and Minerals
- Herbal Medicine For Prostate - A Better Alternative Treatment
- Homeopathic Remedies For Prostate Enlargement
- Child Depression – Obesity: The Connection
- What is High Blood Pressure?
- Alternative Treatment for Yeast Infection
- ADA Diets and Low Carb Diets
- Choose Your Sale !
- The Atkins Diet Theory
- Atkins Diet Menu
- Blood Pressure
- How To Do A Self Abhyanga
- Atkins Diet Plan - Is the plan healthy, effective and fast?
- Tips for Deciding on a Balanced Diet
- Useful Positive Attitude Tips
- Adolescent Grief and Parents’ Role in Managing It
- Adolescent Grief Group Activities
- CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION
- Forever Living Products - About Us
- How to do a self abhyanga
- Oil Pulling and Oral Health
- Nutrition & Dietary Supplements
- Ant-Aging Products
- Herbal Supplements
- Bee Products
- Organic Cold Pressed Oils
- Weight Management
- Sexual Health
- Natural Remedies
- Women's Health
- Men's Health
- Mothers & Babies
- Sports Nutrition & Body Building
- Child Health
- Massage & Spa Treatments
- Skin Care
- Pet Health Products
- Personal Care
- Hair Care
- Combo Paks
- Health & Beauty Equipment
- Gift Ideas
- Forever Living Top Ten Products