By Tess Thompson
The Atkins diet is among the most popular low carbohydrate diets. It is also perhaps one of the most controversial ones. Many experts have doubts about whether it promotes healthy weight loss http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/ecoslim-natural-weight-loss.html, since a health weight loss plan is meant to focus on health as much as a reduction in weight.
The essence of the Atkins weight loss program is based on a belief that carbohydrates are the underlying cause of obesity. Reducing carbohydrate intake, the theory suggests, results in natural weight loss http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/ecoslim-natural-weight-loss.html. This, the diet does without making you feel hungry all the time. In addition, it also claims to reduce the risk of heart disease and improves memory.
The theory behind the Atkins diet is that when the amount of carbohydrate in your diet is reduced to a minimum, the body goes into a state of ketosis. This means that instead of burning carbohydrates, the body starts to burn stored fat to meet its energy requirements. The state of ketosis also reduces appetite. Therefore one ends up eating lesser than what one normally would. Since excess fat tends to gather on the hips, belly and thighs, the body automatically starts to burn this stored fat, when carbohydrates are not being ingested. This phenomenon results in natural weight loss.
On the other hand, when the intake of carbohydrates is high, the body quickly converts the carbohydrates into sugar. This sugar enters the blood stream. To maintain blood sugar levels the body secretes insulin. Insulin enables the glucose to be stored in the body as glycogen in the liver and muscles. Once these storehouses of fat are filled (something that occurs fairly quickly) to capacity the insulin converts the extra sugar to fat. Ketosis, as the theory states, burns excess fat and the body resumes normal metabolic function after some time. Although the extra fat that is recommended in the diet, causes high cholesterol levels, it is short lived.
Perhaps the major reason behind the large popularity of the Atkins diet is that it allows and encourages foods that most dieters dream about. In the process of following this diet, you may actually consume more calories than ever before. This is mainly because the diet includes foods that have a high fat and protein content. Red meat, fish (including shellfish) and butter is allowed in the diet. Even mayonnaise with tuna and olive oil on salads is also fine. Regular cheese is allowed instead of diet cheese. Even though you may feel that the recommendations of the diet are weird and seem to defy logic, it is extremely essential to follow the guidelines in the induction phase. These guidelines kick start the weight loss program.
In the Atkins diet, there is little emphasis on exercise. But it is still a highly recommended way of how to naturally lose weight fast http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/ecoslim-natural-weight-loss.html. Instead, it suggests supplemental vitamins to remain healthy.
The diet restricts carbohydrates to 20 grams (net of fiber) per day even as the well accepted theory is that most of us need at least 40 grams per day. Even though the logic and theory of the Atkins diet is sound, a balanced diet which includes the minimum level of all nutrients is essential. While supplements can be taken for ingesting the adequate amount of iron and minerals, intake of a basic minimum level of carbohydrate is essential for the proper functioning of the body.
- About Us
- Business Opportunity - Start Today
- Index to Articles
- What is Oxidate Stress
- What is the Flu?
- Bee Propolis
- Four Fabulous New Products
- The Five Tibetan Rites
- My Simple Skin Care Routine
- Introducing Native Remedies
- It's Mind Over Matter
- Product Brochures & Catalogs
- Tips on Surviving Cancer
- Patrick Quillin - Beating Cancer With Nutrition
- Ten Tips for Starting a Walking Program
- Prevention Awareness for Weekend Warriors
- You Can Handle Anything with Health-Esteem
- Introducing Pet Alive
- Traditional Healing Meets Modern Science
- Crave-Rx Drops™ Testimonials
- Why We Use Organic, Cold Pressed Oil
- From Stress to Bliss
- Pregnancy & Massage
- Which Diet Is Best – an Alkaline Diet or an Acidic Diet?
- Pregnancy The Third Trimester
- Grapefruit Diet - An Overview
- Herbal Dietary Supplements - Preparation and Usage
- Immune system remedies - fight low immunity naturally
- Treating Prostate Cancer with Vitamins and Minerals
- Herbal Medicine For Prostate - A Better Alternative Treatment
- Homeopathic Remedies For Prostate Enlargement
- Child Depression – Obesity: The Connection
- What is High Blood Pressure?
- Choose Your Sale !
- The Atkins Diet Theory
- Blood Pressure
- How To Do A Self Abhyanga
- Tips for Deciding on a Balanced Diet
- Useful Positive Attitude Tips
- CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION
- Forever Living Products - About Us
- How to do a self abhyanga
- Oil Pulling and Oral Health
- Surplus Equipment
- Nutrition & Dietary Supplements
- Ant-Aging Products
- Herbal Supplements
- Bee Products
- Organic Cold Pressed Oils
- Weight Management
- Sexual Health
- Natural Remedies
- Women's Health
- Men's Health
- Mothers & Babies
- Sports Nutrition & Body Building
- Child Health
- Massage & Spa Treatments
- Skin Care
- Pet Health Products
- Personal Care
- Hair Care
- Combo Paks
- Health & Beauty Equipment
- Gift Ideas
- Forever Living Top Ten Products