Flu is the abbreviated term for the influenza virus, which is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory tract. The virus affects the nose, throat, bronchial tubes, and lungs, and may also cause inflammation and pain in muscles and joints.
It is spread from person to person through airborne droplets when an infected person either coughs or sneezes. The influenza virus attacks cells in an uninfected person’s breathing passages and begins to replicate within six hours.
Are there Different Types of Flu?
The Flu virus is classified into three categories – Type A, B, and C.
* Type A viruses can infect people, birds, pigs, horses, seals, whales, and other animals. This type of virus can spread around the world causing seasonal epidemics. Recent examples included the avian flu, or bird flu.
* Type B viruses infect people and result in smaller, localized outbreaks. People infected with type B virus are often hospitalized with increased rates of death occurring.
* Type C viruses cause mild illness in humans without the onset of an epidemic or pandemic.
Diagnosing the Flu
Most people are familiar with the symptoms of the flu, but they can be mistaken for a severe cold in some cases. However, the flu infection is far more serious and can potentially cause severe health complications.
Symptoms include a fever, muscle aches, chills, headaches, coughing, congestion and extreme fatigue – although not all of these symptoms are present in every case. If your symptoms are severe, it is usually recommended that you seek medical assistance to obtain a proper diagnosis. In particular, the avian flu or bird flu cannot be diagnosed by symptoms alone, so seeking medical treatment is necessary.
There are a wide variety of viral infections that may cause flu-like symptoms, therefore it is important to rule out other possibilities before obtaining treatment.
What Causes Influenza?
The flu virus attacks the body’s cells and mutates into different forms. Because of the numerous different strains of the virus it is not always possible to protect yourself against the virus. The influenza virus is transmitted through direct contact with an infected person’s secretions (such as by inhaling droplets when they have coughed or sneezed).
It can also be spread by handling objects such as crockery, cutlery, doorknobs, or telephone receivers that an infected person has been in contact with.
Help for the Flu
The best way to treat the flu is to get plenty of bed rest and drink lots of fluids. Conventional doctors often recommend flu vaccines for high-risk groups such as young children, the elderly, those with chronic diseases, weak immune systems, or professionals working with high-risk groups.
There are several controversies regarding the conventional flu vaccine, including the risk of side effects. In addition, recent research has suggested that elderly people who have received the flu vaccine do not necessarily have a lower rate of infection compared to those who do not.
Most people who are infected with the flu recover completely in 1 to 2 weeks. In some cases, severe complications such as pneumonia, nerve and brain damage may develop from a flu infection. However, most people recover from the flu without further complications, particularly if their immune systems are strong and healthy.
Treatments for the Flu
Over-the-counter medication such as aspirin, cough syrups, decongestants or throat lozenges are widely available to relieve flu symptoms. More serious cases of the flu are sometimes treated with prescription medication such as antiviral drugs. As the flu is a viral infection, antibiotics are not effective in the treatment program, although they may be recommended if there is a secondary bacterial infection.
Many people are not aware that there are several natural and holistic treatments that are also extremely effective at fighting symptoms, in addition to homeopathic alternatives to the conventional flu vaccine. Treatments such as herbal and homeopathic remedies address the underlying cause, while concurrently providing improved optimal health, without side effects or compromising the immune system (as can occur with antibiotic use).
Using a combination of herbs such as Hypoxis rooperi and Astralagus membranaceus boosts and strengthens the immune system. Echinacea is another popular herb well-known as nature’s antibiotic for stopping the onset of flu symptoms, preventing or shortening the length of infection, and supporting the immune system. Remember to always source your herbal and homeopathic remedies from reputable suppliers in order to ensure therapeutic dosage, safety, and maximum effectiveness.
Natural and Homeopathic Remedies for Influenza
Natural herbal and homeopathic remedies have also been proven to be extremely beneficial in treating influenza without drying out the mucus membranes (which happens with conventional decongestants) and without robbing the body of good bacteria (which happens with conventional antibiotics). Using a natural cold and flu remedy will not only help you to address the underlying cause of influenza, but ensure that you maintain optimal health and well-being.
Herbs such as Hypoxis rooperi and Astralagus membranaceus help to boost the immune system and act as strengthening tonics. Other effective healing herbs that provide a natural cold and flu remedy include Yarrow, Elderflower, and Peppermint. When these herbs are combined together, they can help to reduce fever and act as an inhalant to relieve chest congestion effectively. Echinacea is another powerful herb that has been shown to greatly support the immune system, and thus help the body to ward off the flu virus. Remember to source herbal remedies from a reputable company, as therapeutic dosage and ingredient quality is important when using herbal medicines.
Many people are unaware that there are effective homeopathic alternatives to the conventional flu vaccine. Orally administered, homeopathic flu vaccines may be used by all ages and can help to prevent influenza infection, without the side effects and complications sometimes experienced by the conventional flu vaccine.
More Information on the Flu
Prevention is Best
In order to prevent a flu infection, you need to maintain a healthy immune system. In addition, vaccinations do not provide protection against certain strains of influenza such as the avian flu or bird flu, so taking preventative measures can greatly support your health.
Follow these helpful hints to reduce your chance of becoming infected with the influenza virus this season:
* Wash your hands frequently, particularly underneath your fingernails
* Eat immune-enhancing foods that are chemical-free and organically grown
* A daily cup of natural organic yogurt can reduce your susceptibility to flu infections
* Cover your mouth or nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze
* Drink eight glasses of water daily to cleanse your body’s system
* Increase your supplement intake with Vitamin C and cod liver oil
* Strive to obtain consistent, adequate sleep and regular exercise help to ward off infections
* Reduce stress by practicing relaxation techniques, exercising, or listening to music
* Avoid sharing personal items such as cups with someone who has the flu
* Limit your alcohol consumption, as alcohol dehydrates the body and leaves you more prone to infection
Homeopathic remedy temporarily relieves symptoms of the flu or cold like cough, runny nose, fever, sore throat and fatigue.
Homeopathic remedy temporarily reduces phlegm and relieves throat congestion remedy to help get rid of phlegm and mucus to clear throat congestion
Homeopathic remedy relieves sore throat, swollen glands & inflamed tonsils Natural remedy to support healthy throats and tonsils
- About Us
- Business Opportunity - Start Today
- Index to Articles
- What is Oxidate Stress
- What is the Flu?
- Bee Propolis
- Four Fabulous New Products
- The Five Tibetan Rites
- My Simple Skin Care Routine
- Introducing Native Remedies
- It's Mind Over Matter
- Product Brochures & Catalogs
- Tips on Surviving Cancer
- Patrick Quillin - Beating Cancer With Nutrition
- Ten Tips for Starting a Walking Program
- Prevention Awareness for Weekend Warriors
- You Can Handle Anything with Health-Esteem
- Introducing Pet Alive
- Traditional Healing Meets Modern Science
- Crave-Rx Drops™ Testimonials
- Why We Use Organic, Cold Pressed Oil
- From Stress to Bliss
- Pregnancy & Massage
- Which Diet Is Best – an Alkaline Diet or an Acidic Diet?
- Pregnancy The Third Trimester
- Grapefruit Diet - An Overview
- Herbal Dietary Supplements - Preparation and Usage
- Immune system remedies - fight low immunity naturally
- Treating Prostate Cancer with Vitamins and Minerals
- Herbal Medicine For Prostate - A Better Alternative Treatment
- Homeopathic Remedies For Prostate Enlargement
- Child Depression – Obesity: The Connection
- What is High Blood Pressure?
- Choose Your Sale !
- The Atkins Diet Theory
- Blood Pressure
- How To Do A Self Abhyanga
- Tips for Deciding on a Balanced Diet
- Useful Positive Attitude Tips
- CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION
- Forever Living Products - About Us
- How to do a self abhyanga
- Oil Pulling and Oral Health
- Nutrition & Dietary Supplements
- Ant-Aging Products
- Herbal Supplements
- Bee Products
- Organic Cold Pressed Oils
- Weight Management
- Sexual Health
- Natural Remedies
- Women's Health
- Men's Health
- Mothers & Babies
- Sports Nutrition & Body Building
- Child Health
- Massage & Spa Treatments
- Skin Care
- Pet Health Products
- Personal Care
- Hair Care
- Combo Paks
- Health & Beauty Equipment
- Gift Ideas
- Forever Living Top Ten Products